Monday, June 6, 2016

May 31-June 6

Well! I've been out in the field since last Wednesday night. I'm serving in Elche (ward 1) and I have Hermana DeBoard from Utah as my trainer.

Elche is a really great place and I'm glad to be here doing real missionary work! I left the MTC on Tuesday morning early and got to the mission home in Fuengirola early afternoon. We had orientation and I met Presidente Andersen and his lovely wife. They are so great and I'm so excited to serve under their direction. 


We took some time to write down our goals for our mission so here are mine:
  • Baptize or reactivate a family-- families are eternal!
  • Study Spanish every day, even when you feel comfortable
  • Serve with all my heart for 18 months!
  • Be a representative of my Savior in my actions, words and attitude
  • Read the Book of Mormon out loud in Spanish every day
When I was in the mission office I glanced down at a pile of mail and saw a letter from a Miss Katie Ferrell! So I asked if I could take it. And a letter from dad too! So thanks! They made me so happy!
My comp is amazing and I'm learning so much from her and I'm so excited to serve the Lord with her. When we got into Elche, two of the Elders came and helped us with my bags. Elder Pesce is from CHILEEEEEEE. So that's been fun to talk about my time in Chile with him. Here's most of my district (we were missing one more companionship of hermanas). These people are so great.

I have an iPad (I think it's a mini) and it's super helpful to have. We use them to teach investigators and show videos and read talks. We also has a maps system so we don't get lost. :P I can check my email all week when we have wifi in the church building or wherever but can only reply on Mondays. So I've been dying to respond to you all week! Also, I can receive pictures on iCloud. Can someone help Dad figure that out so he can see all my pictures? :) Tyler and Benjamin are the only ones who've accepted my invite. I'm taking lots of pictures and don't want to overload these emails with pictures. But when AnnaMarie does the blog it'd be great if she could add some of those too.


Since I am new, Hermana DeBoard and I have a lot of extra study time. 
Here's my daily schedule:
7:30 wake up
7:30-8 workout-- we have this neat app called 7M workout and it's been great. I gained like 6 pounds in the MTC
8-9 eat breakfast and get ready
9-9:30 personal study
9:30-11:30 companionship study
11:30-2 proselytizing time/ meeting with members, less active members or investigators
2-5:30 is Spain nap time so we get an extra few hours to eat, do language study and some area book work
5:30-10:15 lessons with members, investigators, etc
10:15 were supposed to be back at hie unless we're in a cita (appointment)
10:15-11:30 or whenever we're done-- planning for next day and setting goals
11:30 or whenever we're dome planning-- make and eat dinner if we're not too exhausted. Sometimes we'd rather sleep than worry about food. Haha.

Missionary work is EXHAUSTING! But so good!! I love it so much. I've been doing my best to learn people's names and their stories. I love teaching lessons and Hermana DeBoard and I work really well together. She's been out for 8 months now. TEACHING BY THE SPIRIT IS SO COOL. We went into a cita last night and planned to share the story of the brother of Jared but didn't really know how we're going to connect it to his life. But we just started teaching and read the scriptures with him and then we looked at each other and knew exactly what we needed to share with him.


My Spanish is doing great and a lot of the other missionaries always say how they wish they would've known so much when they started. It's really been a blessing. I've kinda calculated that my Spanish level now is about at the level of someone who's been out in the field for about 10 months.
We walk a LOT but sometimes we take the bus. We pay 30 euros every month for an unlimited bus pass. 


I love this work. 


We got into Elche late at night on  last Wednesday night. We didn't have food so that night was the night I was KE-BAPTIZED. There are a lot of local places that serve kebab but I guess it's something not a lot of Spaniards like. Its not the same thing as a shish-kebab. There's a huge chunk of meat and they shave off thin slices and put it into a wrap. Here are two rules when eating Kebabs.
1. Pray before and AFTER eating it.
2. Don't ask what the meat is.
Luckily, I'm not dead yet.
My apartment (piso) is super nice! A lot nicer than I was expecting! It has central air which is a life saver, two bathrooms (so I have my own shower!) and two bedrooms. Hermana DeBoard and I sleep in the same room so we have a room for putting our suitcases. We have a nice kitchen and a living room with a nice big table for all of our studying.


Every time we leave the apartment we kneel and pray for safety and I love it. :)


Yesterday was my first Sunday and we watched a broadcasted Europe-wide conference from Salt lake. Then our bishop and his wife had us over for lunch. And all of us included all the mission ties in the picture I posted above. Lunch with them was so great and the bishop's wife, Paqui is great. I was helping her prepare food and she was making Torta de patata (a potato and egg dish) and I said that I wanted to learn how so she taught me :) she's going to teach me how to make paella next month.

We have a lot of eating citas here and they're usually for lunch. They've been great so far but I can't eat as much as they want me to eat. Hahaha.


Well, today some members from Cerviente took us out to eat at this buffet pasta and pizza place and I ate soooo much. It was called Muerda la pasta (sp?).


Now I'm at the single adults center with two sets of elders and my wonderful comp we have however much time we want to email and then we'll probably play some ping pong. 


Oh! One of the members in my ward makes these incredible homemade scripture cases and so I am designing mine now! It'll cost 50 euros -- about 50 bucks but I'm so excited. 


I am so happy here and I love you all! This is hard work but it is the Lord's work!


Go read 2 Nephi 22:2. We've been sharing it a lot lately. :)

Enviado desde mi iPad


Also for letters getting here in the next 12 or 18 weeks they can be
sent to this address:
Hermana Christy Moore
C/Felipe Moya N°52, 5I (<--- the last part is 5 and the letter I)

Elche A 03202

Packages should still be sent to the mission office to the address on my blog.
















No comments:

Post a Comment