Monday, July 4, 2016

June 27-July 3

Happy Fourth of July all you Americans! (Carolin and Vick, you're practically Americans ;)) I hope you're having a fun day celebrating!

Well I'm starting in on the last week of the transfer! It's been another tough week in terms of numbers of lessons given but once again the Lord has blessed me by teaching me what I need to lear!
Highlights of the week:


Every Tuesday we have a district meeting, which is attended and run by the closest 5 sets of missionaries. It's a two hour long meeting where we teach each other and strengthen our teaching skills. This week Hermana DeBoard and I were asked to teach for 20 minutes about the importance of the planning sessions we have. As a missionary, there are two types of planning. Weekly planning happens every Thursday and lasts 3 hours. We look at each one of our investigators and the people we think we need to visit and then figure out a general lesson plan of what they need to hear. We also set goals for the week in terms of how many lessons we want to teach, how many new investigators we want to find, as well as how we want to improve as missionaries during the following week. The other kind of planning, nightly planning, happens well... Every night from about 10:15-10:45. During this time we plan out the following  hour by hour and fill the day with people we are going to visit, which streets we are going to contact on, and what we are going to teach about. Planning is really important because it gives us a time to connect our plans with those God has. He knows which people are being prepared to accept our message and with planning, He can guide us to them.


After district meeting all 10 of us went out and ordered 5 gigantic pizzas and shared them.



So last Thursday Elder Pesce and Weenig got a call from their landlord and he told them they have to pack up and move out this coming Wednesday. Apparently the owners are getting divorced so the wife needs the apartment to live in. So the elders have been cleaning like crazy and looking at another apartment to rent. On Saturday we got special permission to go to the Elder's apartment to help them clean. Hermana DeBoard and I tackled the kitchen and boy did it need it. The elders are both really neat and clean people but elders have been living in that apartment for the last 5 years and so there was a lot to do. Because missionaries get transferred in and out a lot, a lot of food gets left behind and forgotten about. I cleared out her cupboards and fridge and filled three garbage bags full of expired food and old medicine that has just been sitting there. Then I took apart the inside of the fridge, scrubbed it and defrosted the freezer. It was actually pretty satisfying. While I was cleaning out the fridge I remembered cleaning out the fridge, which for the record is one thousand times nicer and cleaner, at home with Dad. :)

We had a few lessons here and there but it's been a pretty uneventful week. Our only investigator now is Marina and we just started teaching her 12 year old daughter the lessons on Sunday.

On Sunday I got asked to speak for 10 minutes about missionary work during Sacrament meeting (our main church worship meeting) on July 17th. So I'll start thinking about what I want to say. Speaking of getting assigned to speak, Hermana DeBoard and I have to teach/ lead a discussion tomorrow at our Zone meeting (the closest 40 missionaries). Eeeksies!

Hermana DeBoard hit her 9 month mark last week and we got ice cream to celebrate. Since she's at her halfway mark, she's been thinking about goals a lot and what she wants to set as goals to improve on in the time she has left. So that made ME think about my own goals and I thought of a few more good ones. Before my mission I don't feel like I ever really studied the scriptures, besides the Book of Mormon a little. So I set a goal to finish the New and Old Testament and the Pearl of Great Price all before I come home. Ill take them one at a time and I'll read 4 pages each day and I'll get through everything without a problem. I'm going to read them in English and then have my Spanish scriptures alongside. I also have a goal for the Book of Mormon! ** I'm reading it out loud in Spanish to work on pronunciation and read 6 pages every day. Doing this, I'll be able to finish it every 12 weeks (2 transfers). So I'll finish the Book of Mormon 6 times during my mission! I'm excited. :) AHHH the scriptures are so cool and they really do contain the word of God and the fullness of God's Gospel!

**For those of you who aren't members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, The Book of Mormon is a book similar to the Bible that tells of God's dealings with the people of the ancient Americas. 

So here's the biggest thing I learned this week: As hopefully all who know me know, I'm a happy person. But I also get serious when I'm focused on working on something. Since missionary work is always hard work, I've noticed myself this week getting too focused and finding myself get frustrated and getting grumpy with my companion. Hermana DeBoard is great and definitely doesn't deserve my grumpiness so I've been trying my best to have fun with whatever we're doing, even if it is knocking doors in 90 degree weather. It's still a work in progress but it's something I've been working on this last week in particular. I don't have the right to be selfish here. When I accepted the call to Spain, I accepted to work with all heart and mind and not worry about myself. This is the Lord's time and it doesn't matter if I'm tired or hungry--I'm still a servant of the Lord. I need to be humble and work and He will bless me.
I'm sorry I've been super lame with pictures this week it here's a picture of my door. So here's your cultural knowledge for the week. Doors are different in Spain.

Have a wonderful week!

Love, Hermana Moore


No comments:

Post a Comment